The Effect of the Community Participation on the Self-Worth and Well Being Escalation in the Elderly Activities - A Case Study on the Awakening Renewable Force of Elderly through Participation Activities in Tainan City
The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of the community participation on the Self-worth and Well-being escalation in the elderly activities. Quasi-experimental design was adopted via The One-Group Pre-test Post-test Design as study method. Being taken care by NPO organization in Tainan City, the participants, six elderly aged 65 years and over, all Living in the city center nearby the community space, four elderly are 65-year-old retirees, two are housewife, received 90-minute in The Elderly Force Awakens Activity on one session per week basis. The research used the Rosenberg self-esteem scale and the Warwick-Edinburgh Mental Well-being Scale (WEMWBS) as study tools. All data collected from the pre- and post- tests of the participants was carried out as a statistical analysis by using Descriptive Statistics and Paired-Samples Test. In addition, the “Unit feedback form” and the “total feedback form of the group” filled out by participants as well as the observation and interview feedback results were summed up and analyzed in order to prove and supplement the findings of this study. This study uses Self-worth and happiness Well-being data to make a qualitative cross-analysis. This study found a high degree benefits of Self-worth and Well-being, when elderly start participation in the community activities.
A. The consultative effect on self-worth.
1. In this section that community participation on promoting self-worth in elderly, the total score in the Rosenberg self-esteem scale reached a statistically significant level.
2. Community participation on promoting self-worth in elderly reached a statistically significant level on 9 questions: “On the whole, I am satisfied with myself”, “I feel that I have a number of good qualities”, “I am able to do things as well as most other people” , “ I feel that I'm a person of Worth”, reverse-scored questions: “At times I think I am no good at all”, “I feel I do not have much to be proud of”, “I certainly feel useless at times”, and “All in all, I am inclined to think that I am a failure”.
B. The consultative effect on well-being
1. In this section that community participation on promoting well-being in elderly, the total score in the Warwick-Edinburgh Mental Well-being Scale (WEMWBS) reached a statistically significant level.
2. Community participation on promoting well-being in elderly reached a statistically significant level on 13 questions: “I’ve been feeling optimistic about the future”, “I’ve been feeling useful”, “I’ve been feeling relaxed”, “I’ve been feeling interested in other people”, “I’ve been dealing with problems well”, “I’ve been thinking clearly”, “I’ve been feeling good about myself”, “I’ve been feeling close to other people”, “I’ve been feeling confident”, “I’ve been able to make up my own mind about things”, “I’ve been feeling loved”, “I’ve been interested in new things”, “I’ve been feeling cheerful”.
C. Self-evaluation of the effect in The Awakening Renewable Force of Elderly Activity and interview feedback
1. The results of the self-evaluation form filled out by the participants showed that they took a positive attitude about the Elderly Force Awakens Activity and a benefit a great deal from the sessions.
2. The observation and interview analysis illustrated that the depth of the self-worth and well-being in the participants were increased by the process in The Awakening Renewable Force of Elderly Activity.
The study found that elderly with special talent in the event were being explored. They are willing to be on stage to share their experience or talent as a lecturer. No matter they are invited or not, as long asthey are healthy, and continued to participate in the events of "old and useful" activity of The Elderly Force Awakens Activities. The self-worth and well-being enhancements made by these continuous participants are higher than those of the elderly who have not been used as lecturers. In sum, the researcher proposed suggestions based on the study results so as provide a reference for practice in counseling and guidance and in-depth research in the future through community participation activities for the awakening renewable force of elderly.
Keywords - Community Participation, Elderly, Self-Worth, Well-Being,