The Investigation of Basalt and Glass Fibers on the Behavior of Reinforced Concrete Beams
This paper presents an experimental study aimed at determining the compressive, tensile and flexural behavior of concrete members containing different percentages of Basalt Fiber (BF) and Glass Fiber (GF). The diameter of BF and GF are 12-30 µm and 13µm respectively, both BF and GF are hooked ends deformed with 12 mm length. The mixtures contain the combination of BF and GF fibers. Control beam is without fiber, BF0.5 is (0.5 % BF), BF1 is (1 % BF), BF1.5 is (1.5 % BF), BF0.25GF0.75 is (0.25 % BF and 0.75 % GF), GF0.25BF0.75 is (0.25 % GF and 0.75 % BF) and BF0.5GF0.5 is (0.5 % BF and 0.5 % GF). The total volume of fibers is constant at 1 % for the hybrid fiber reinforced concrete beams. All mixtures are designed for high strength concrete (30 MPa). From the test results, it is observed that there is no significant effect of fiber inclusion on the compressive strength of concrete moreover BF concrete usually has higher tensile strength than GF. According to standards 28 days after casting fiber reinforced concrete beams are tested by two point loading. The flexural strength of beams are increasing with the increase of BF content in a gradual fashion but no such change was observed for GF reinforced concrete.
Keywords - Basalt Fiber (BF), Glass Fiber (GF), Compressive Strength, Tensile Strength, Flexural Strength.