Paper Title
Factors Influencung the Academic Achievement Motivation of Undergraduate Students in Higher Education Institutions in Bangkok

Abstract
This survey research aims to examine the factors influencing the achievement motivation of undergraduate students in higher education institutions in Bangkok. The independent variables were gender, year of study, field of study, residence, self-study behavior, self-study approaches, and personality, and the dependent variable was achievement motivation. The sample comprised 397 undergraduate students in public higher education institutions in Bangkok in the academic year 2013. The data were analyzed as follows. Descriptive statistics, namely frequency, percentage, mean, and standard deviation, were used to determine the subjects’ general information, personality, and academic achievement motivation. A correlation analysis was conducted to determine the relationships between the independent variables and the dependent variables. A multiple regression analysis was performed to identify the effects of the former on the latter. The findings indicated that the majority of the participants were female (225 or 56.7%) in their first year of study (152 or 38.3%). Most were social science students (248 or 62.5%), whereas the remaining were science students (149 or 37.5%). Over half of the subjects were living in a dormitory (225 or 56.7%) and carrying out self-study after school (225 or 56.7%). The most widespread self-study approach was Internet search (331 or 83.%). It was also found that the dependent variable positively correlated with the independent variables at degrees ranging from 0.100 to 0.740. In addition, the effect of personality and self-study approaches on achievement motivation could be determined using the following prediction equation: Z (academic achievement motivation) = 0.278Z (personality: extroversion) + 0.239Z (self-study approach: reading at home) + 0.168Z (self-study approach: reading at the library) – 0.116Z (gender) Keywords- achievement motivation, undergraduate students, higher education institutions.